Thursday, January 12, 2012

New Year Dragons and the End of the World

It seems that I allowed myself to become so occupied with the holiday season that somehow I failed to take the time to wish all of you a spectacular Christmas and New Year. I hope that it was good. I know that mine certainly was. So to make sure that this doesn't happen again for 2012 I just want to wish all of you a spectacular Christmas and New Year!

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed but the theme almost every retailer adopted for the New Year was:
a new year, a new you
Of course this is really fantastic advertising as it taps into that place in our psyches that is eager for change; either to leave behind parts of our lives that we find undesirable or to gain things in our lives that we want. Unfortunately the majority of those I am closest to seemed to make resolutions for ridding themselves of the undesirable traits. I say unfortunate because very few of them made any resolutions for things they wanted to do. It's no secret that I have put on a few pounds since returning from Baghdad, and by a few I mean 20. I don't like having the extra weight and although I don't show it when clothed I get to see my bulging belly every time I change my shirt or get out of the shower. This of course happened because since I've been back I have had access to a refrigerator and pantry 24-7, which have both been filled with really good food, and I have taken advantage of it on a more than regular basis. But if I just eliminate the food I like to eat it won't be long before I go back to it. So instead I am adding the positive addition in my life of more exercise because I know, for me, when I am working out I don't have that empty feeling that needs to be filled with food.
I think positive change is fantastic for everyone just make sure it's something you are doing because you want to do and not because it is for someone else (this includes loved ones and social pressure). If it's done for anyone besides yourself it will never take.

Now the 2012 New Year we rang in on January 1st is nice but I'm really looking forward to the Chinese New Year on January 23rd. If you don't know your Chinese astrology shame on you, stop living under a rock and gain some life knowledge, after all the way our government is going it won't be long before we'll only be celebrating Chinese New Year. Sorry I digressed there for a moment. Anyway if you don't know Chinese astrology January 23rd begins the Year of the Dragon! As a dragon sign myself I am really looking forward to this year, with all of the additional power and great fortune it will bring to me. Of course it is a little bit of a bummer because I'll be cheated out of having a complete Year of the Dragon, as it will be cut short due to the end of the world in December. Oh well I just have to take extra advantage of the months I do get.


As you no doubt have heard the Mayan calender ends on December 21st, 2012. I know some of you are still writing 2011 on everything but it doesn't change the fact that it is 2012 and an end of an era is coming. Now I don't believe that on December 21st that all life will suddenly flash out of existence, although I am quite positive some peoples worlds will end; it happens every day. However lets just think for a moment that it is all going to end. If you only had 11 months left how would you want to spend them? Think about that for a minute. 


I want you to follow up the last question with these: 
  • Are you happy in your life?
  • What is your ultimate goal?
  • What are you doing today to achieve that goal? 
2011 was a great year for me and I see 2012 only being better. One of the things that I am doing this year is experiencing more. Not just seeing more on some sprint through famous places but taking the time to visit a community and experience it. Two of my first stops will be Butte Montana and Wallace Idaho. Both of these communities are filled with deep history and colorful personality. 
I came to the realization that even though I want to go out and explore the rest of the world there is an awful lot in my own region that I haven't taken the time to really experience. 


Remember that just dropping the bad from your life does not immediately bring in the good. So make some goals this year to not just eliminate but add to your life!

Wishing you the best year ever!

Clark 

No comments:

Post a Comment