Saturday, April 9, 2011

About Me

Well I don't think that I'm at the point where I can write about myself in the third person, I tried it and it sounded a bit pretentious. I believe that you've come to this site out of curiosity. In order for you to stay here a little longer, return her in the future and tell all of your friends about it I need to sell you on the fact that who I am is relevant to your time.

When I turned thirty I'm not sure I could have said anything relevant enough, I was in a place where I had no ambition and really didn't care for who I was. It wasn't always like that. I have wanted to be an author since I was a teenager and even had a few articles and short stories published early on. When I turned seventeen I was living in West Yellowstone, Montana and writing a short story about the Civil War which I knew nothing about. One of my oldest friends read what I had so far and kindly told me the old adage: write what you know. To be honest it hurt a lot at the time but the more I thought about it the more I realized I didn't know much of anything, so I set out over the next few years on a western states adventure, which took me to Montana, Wyoming, Oregon, California and Hawaii. In all these places I was meeting people and gaining real life experience so I could have something to write about.

Eventually I returned to Idaho and attended college and life began to happen with a storm of bills, job changes and family loss and gain. In the end I had a lot more experience and emotion than I had ever wanted to hold inside, but the dream of being an author was so far away from me. The final event that woke me up was the hammer of thirty years striking down on me and I decided that I wanted to be better.

It took a little over a year to set my family affairs in order so I could do it, but I eventually joined the army. I wanted to push myself further than I had ever done so before and gain even more experience to work into my writing. Some guys joked with me in Basic Training that I had a midlife crises and should have bought the car, but I don't regret the choice at all. My journey has now taken me through five countries, introduced me to people that participate in the world of political politics, and has placed me in the center of the most civilian unrest the Middle East has ever seen. I know that it has given me the ability to see inside myself and know that I can succeed at anything I put my effort into.

That is who I am, a man who understands how to succeed no matter what the obstacles are. What you will find when you visit my site is what is going on now in my writing, tools that you can use to improve your writing, and most importantly some encouragement that you too can get what you want out of life.

1 comment:

  1. As I just became introduced to your blogging, I decided it would be in my best interest to start from the very beginning. You're a great writer. Just so you know, what "they" say is, "30 is the new 20" which I think would actually mean that you have less bills and less responsibility, but I think they mean it's trendy to be in your 30s...let me know how that works out for you :)

    ReplyDelete