Monday, May 16, 2011

Sprinting toward the finish line

     The end is near! Not that the big cataclysmic end talked about in so many religions and cultures but the end of my first draft of Loves Deception. It's so exciting being this close to the finish. The only thing I can really relate it to is the first 5k race I ran. In that race I had started out strong but dropped off in the midsection for a little bit and when I saw the last half mile approaching I felt this burst of energy that invigorated me, driving me toward the finish line. I didn't come in first, second, or third. I was twenty-first, and there was a man who was in the 60 years and older category that beat me, but when I crossed that finish line I felt so good because I had completed it. Much like that first 5k I don't believe that when I finish the first draft of Loves Deception that it will be a first place novel and I'm already getting my mind prepared for my rewrite, but I will have a completed novel, something I have never done.

     I have four chapters to finish and Loves Deception will be complete. I write everything twice, first with paper and pen and then I type it on the computer. I'm not the fastest typist so it has taken me a long time to get everything transcribed over, but a few days ago one of my good friends here in Baghdad got me the hook up with a dictation program for my computer. Technology is such an amazing thing. It took a little bit of time to get the program familiar with my speaking and I had to become familiar with it's commands. In the end it's really helped me speed things up...I think.

     Here's an example of how things have changed:
     I would take my hand written notes and type this:
Mabel approached slowly, a cold calculating expression on her face. The heels of her boots clacking across the polished floor were the only sounds she made as she came closer to the receptionist. Mabel reached into her handbag and slowly removed her cell phone.

"Can I help you?" The receptionist asked in a tone of authority.

Mabel thought the Thomas Vanders might consider hiring another receptionist like this one for the main entrance.

Mabel switched the cell phone to silent and slipped it back into her handbag. She looked at the receptionist and coolly replied, "No" and continued walking past the receptionist toward the office of Melissa Vanders. She could hear the receptionist calling for security as Mabel opened Melissa Vanders door. Melissa stood up not recognizing Mabel from their brief encounter in the restaurant.

And now with the dictation program:


Mabel approached slowly Comma a cold calculating expression on her face Period The heels of her boots clacking across the polished floor were the only sounds she made as she came closer to the receptionist Period Mabel reached into her handbag and slowly removed her cell phone Period
New Line Open Quote Can I help you Question Mark Close Quote The receptionist asked in a tone of authority Period
New Line Mabel thought the Thomas wonders Correct Vanders wonders Correct Vanders wonders Spell V A N D E R S might consider hiring another receptionist like this one for the main entrance Period
New Line Mabel switched the cell phone to silent and slipped it back into her handbag Period She looked at the receptionist and coolly replied Comma Open Quote No Close Quote and continued walking past the receptionist toward the office of Melissa wonders Correct Vanders wonders Correct Vanders wonders Spell V A N D E R S Period She could hear the receptionist calling for security as Mabel opened Melissa wonders Correct Vanders wonders Spell V A N D E R S door Period Melissa stood up not recognizing Mabel from their brief encounter in the restaurant Period

So I'm still working some of the bugs out, but it's getting there, hopefully it just won't hold up my final dash through the last four chapters.

Check back Wednesday for a sneak peak at another character.


No comments:

Post a Comment